A Brief History of the Edmonton Church

Click here for list of Christian Science practitioners from Edmonton.

1898
Alma M. Daniel relocates to Fort Saskatchewan from Woodstock, Ontario. She begins to hold informal Christian Science services in her home.
1904
Christian Science services were sometimes held in the Edmonton home of James and Elizabeth McIntyre.
1906
At a meeting on 10.October it was resolved to form a church organisation.
1907
From June onwards services were held every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening in the Bijou Theatre (630 Second Street.) A Reading Room was open every afternoon at the same address.
 
  Exterior view of the Bijou Theatre where
services were held for many years
 
  Interior of the Bijou Theatre ca. 1912
1908
The first Christian Science lecture in Edmonton was held in the Dominion Theatre on 28.May. The lecturer was Frank H. Leonard CSB, a practitioner and teacher of Christian Science from Chicago, Illinois.
1913
A site for a new church building was purchased on 118 Street and 102 Avenue, just north of Jasper Avenue and a street car line.
1915
The church building was completed and ready for occupancy 2.May.
 
  Exterior of the first church building
on 118 Street and 102 Avenue in 1919
 
  Interior of 118 Street church in 1919
1919
On 6.April the church was dedicated free of debt.
1927
The site of the present church was purchased at 100 Avenue and 108 Street.
1928
At a meeting on 16.March it was resolved to begin construction on a new church building. The building on 118 Street was quickly sold and services were held at the Macdonald Hotel until the new church was ready.
 
  A 1921 view of the Macdonald Hotel which served as
a temporary home for the church in 1928
1928
On 28.October the first service was held in the completed Sunday School section of the new building.
 
  1928 Sunday School section of the church where both
services and Sunday School were held until 1952
 
  A 1932 window display featuring The Christian Science Monitor
1944
Members resolved to complete the church building.
1948
Neighbouring property was purchased for eventual use as a parking lot.
1951
Ground broken and construction began on the auditorium section of the building.
1953
On Sunday 29.March the first service was held in the completed auditorium.
 
  Church façade with main entrance on 108 Street ca. 1950
1955
The church was dedicated free of debt.
1967
Extensive renovations done to the church auditorium and relocating the main entrance from 108 Street to 100 Avenue. These changes were made possible by a bequest from a member.
 
  Post 1967 renovation with the new
entrance on 100 Avenue
 
  100 Avenue view pre 1981 relocation of the Reading Room
 
  108 Street façade post renovation
1971
The children's room and board room in the basement of the building were renovated.
 
  The church's Reading Room when it was located on
103 Street just north of Jasper Avenue
ca. 1975
1981
The Reading Room was relocated to a renovated portion of the Sunday School.
 
  1928 Sunday School section of the church showing
the Reading Room on 100 Avenue
1993
Purchase and installation of an Ahlborn-Galanti Praeludium III digital organ.
2004
A Yamaha 5' 3" grand piano was donated to the church by a member of the congregation.
 
  Church interior in 2004 showing the
position of the Yamaha piano
  Return to top of page

 

 

 



"CHURCH: The structure of Truth and Love; whatever rests upon and proceeds from divine Principle.

The Church is that institution, which affords proof of its utility and is found elevating the race, rousing the dormant understanding from material beliefs to the apprehension of spiritual ideas and the demonstration of divine Science, thereby casting out devils, or error, and healing the sick."

Mary Baker Eddy
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (p. 583:12-19)


Study Tools

 


First Church of Christ, Scientist • 10810 100 Avenue • Edmonton, Alberta • T5J 0B9
780.422.4754 • cscrr@telus.net